Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pikelets

In my book, PEEPING TOM, I mention my heroine making pikelets. These
are a bit like hotcakes but are much smaller—probably about the
circumference of a teacup or coffee mug. They are very popular in
both New Zealand and Australia and are usually served with strawberry
or raspberry jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

Here's my favourite recipe for pikelets. It's the one my mother used
to make when I was little and one I still use when I'm in the mood
for a sweet treat for afternoon tea.

Gloria's Pikelets
============

Warm ½ cup of milk. Beat 1 egg well and add 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat again until creamy and frothy. Add 1 cup of flour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder, alternatively with the ½ cup of warm milk. Lastly heat 1 dessert spoon of golden syrup and 1 tablespoon of butter and add to the mixture. Grease a hotplate or fry pan and cook in spoon lots. Wait until bubbles form around edge and turn over to cook the other side.

Serve warm or cold with jam and whipped cream or your favourite toppings.

Thanks to Shelley Munro!

No comments: