Saturday, December 1, 2007

Ranger Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c Butter or oleo

1 ts Baking soda

1 c Sugar

1/2 ts Baking powder

1 c Brown sugar

2 c Rice Krispies

2 Eggs

1 c Corn Flakes

1 ts Vanilla

1 c Oats

2 c Flour


Directions:

Mix well and drop onto cookie sheet in rounded teaspoon heaps. Bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes or until done.

Funny story associated with this recipe. My paternal grandmother always made these cookies for the holidays. They were always placed in a china bowl and set in the middle of the dining room table for anyone who wanted one. They were a treat I looked forward to every year. After my Grandmother died I asked my aunt (over the phone) for the recipe so I could make the cookies. Wrote down the recipe and filed it in my database.

For three Christmas seasons in a row I failed in my attempt to make these delicious treats. My cookies never held up despite their incredibly stiff texture in the mixing bowl. Instead they would melt and spread across the cookie sheet when placed in the oven. The end result was a HUGE mess to clean up. Finally in desperation, I called my aunt and explained my problem. I told her that I couldn't understand how these cookies could actually be THAT difficult to make. My aunt asked me to name off the ingredients. After I fell silent, there was this long pause before she laughed and said. "So where's the flour?”

For three years I'd been attempting to make a cookie without flour! ROFL Now that the missing ingredient is included, my cookies turn out great every holiday season, and they become a family favorite.

Thanks to Monica Burns!


No comments: