Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Banana Cake

(Shelley's favorite recipe - from the Edmonds Cookery Book)

Ingredients:

125g (4 oz) butter
175g (6 oz) sugar
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas
1 teaspoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons boiling milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
225g (8oz) flour

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, mashed bananas, then baking soda dissolved in boiling milk. Lastly add flour and baking powder previously mixed. Bake in two greased sandwich tins for 20 mins at 180 degrees C (350F).

Note - I tend to improvise when I cook anything. I like to add either walnuts or chocolate raisins or plain chocolate chips to my cake. I cook mine in one loaf tin. I also like to add some wholemeal flour so substitute some of the white for wholemeal. My oven is a fan bake one and it tends to cook more quickly so I set my timer for ten minutes and check my cake. Normally it takes around 15 minutes before the top springs back when I touch it and/or cracks appear in the top. Once cool I ice with either chocolate icing or lemon icing, depending on my mood. I make a glace icing with icing sugar, a bit of butter, cocoa and a dash of boiling water to bring it to the right
consistency.

Thanks to Shelley Munro!

No comments: